Here is a classic and very simple lemons slice recipe is hard to go by. It’s easy because it’s no-bake, uses very few ingredients and is simply delicious to eat.
I’ll admit, I find it hard to go past a good lemon slice.
Its delightful tang and biscuity base is my little slice of heaven.
Whenever Possum sees me starting to cook in the kitchen she is over in a flash asking what she can do to help. I’m always surprising myself how easy it is to modify a recipe to suit the needs of children and their skills.
You don’t need me to tell you all about the sensory delight of lemons. This recipe had Possum and I talking lots about lemons. She learnt that they were a fruit (and known strangely as a ‘citrus‘) and came up with funny ways of describing the smell. This was great way to introducing her to new words and extending her vocabulary.
Including maths in cooking
Of course cooking can involves lots of great opportunities for measuring out ingredients, or at least having a play with the measuring tools used in cooking. We needed to weigh some icing sugar and so Possum observed how the scales changes as the ingredients were added.
Soon it was time to smooth the icing over the hardened biscuit base, which was wonderful example of how texture can be hard or soft, as well of other things of course. But this combo would make a seriously delicious lemon slice that we would be enjoying with friends.
- 250g of condensed milk
- 250g of plain sweet biscuits
- 80g of melted butter
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 240g icing sugar
- 60g butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs desiccated coconut
- Crush biscuits and add to a bowl
- Add coconut and lemon rind
- Add melted butter, condensed milk and lemon juice to the biscuit mixture
- Mix thoroughly
- Press mixture into a slice tray
- Place into the fridge for an hour
- Make the icing using the above ingredients mixed together and smooth over biscuit base
- Place into the fridge again for at least 20 minutes
- Cut into slices
- You may wish to lightly sprinkle coconut to the icing
Hopefully you’ll find some time to make this delicious and simple lemon slice recipe. Like I said, you’ll struggle to stop at one piece because it really is so very yummy.
Would lemon slice be one of your favourites?
Here are some more simple recipes you’ll love –
Great value ebooks featuring Laughing Kids Learn