I have a child with a severe food allergy and I’d like to share my experience with you. I know there are many others who have allergies or have children with them so I hope you find this post helpful and make you realise you’re not alone. X
- Itchy skin
- Abdominal pain
- Swelling of the skin/tongue
- Inability to breathe
So began the testing with allergy professionals, which determined Possum’s allergic reaction to egg was severe enough to have her need an EpiPen, which is a shot of adrenalin should we struggle to breathe from any future reactions. The specialist explained that as each time she is exposed to egg then the symptoms are most likely to be worse so it’s better to be on the safe side.
Hopefully in time she will grow out of her egg allergy. Apparently 90% of children have outgrown it by the age of 10. The remaining 10% have it for life and so I’m feeling that the odds are good.
How to administer an EpiPen
For those of you who are unfamiliar with EpiPens and how to administer them please view this really short video. You might not have a child with an allergy but you could come across one one day.
Possum will need to have further testing over the next few years just to see if she is growing out of her allergy and beginning to tolerate small traces. Initially her allergy was a huge shock to us but we are now very informed and know how to handle a situation if she was to show signs of her allergy.
If you would like more information there are some great websites.
Food Allergy Awareness