Sausage rolls are always a crowd favourite, especially when it comes to feeding kids. Today I’m sharing a secret recipe with you. I’ll teach you how to make quick and easy sausage rolls with your kids!
I have probably made this sausage roll recipe with my kids over two dozen times, they could probably make it themselves if I really let them. It’s great because it allows them to get involved, includes only a few key ingredients, requires basic skills and the sausage rolls turn out delicious! They are also egg free, which suits Possum who is anaphylactic to eggs.
Recommended age: 3 years +
(Strict and constant supervision is required at all times)
When making these sausage rolls, begin by preparing the ingredients.
Begin with the carrots.
Grating carrots with kids
Getting your child to grate a carrot can be hair-raising, however, if you feel confident enough that your child can do it safely and successfully with lots of step by step support from you, then give it a go.
Once I talked to Boo (aged 4 years) about how to use the grater, where to hold it and which side to use, then we talked about the carrot and the angle it was to be held on and the motion to drag the carrot. If you’re wanting more suggestions on teaching your child how to use a grater, check out this post from Nicole at Planning with Kids.
Add meat, carrot and onions to the bowl
Mixing ingredients in a bowl is one of those tasks that children just love to partake in. They really get a sense of being involved when they have to move the ingredients around and mix them together.
It’s also a great gross motor activity for them to do as it requires lots of upper body strength to do it.
You might like to take over cutting the onions yourself, but talk about why onions make you cry. They might find that interesting.
Painting on the milk wash
Just like painting, have your child brush the milk wash over the pasty. It’s simple and fun for them.
Cook them in a preheated oven at 180c (or 356f) for 10-15 minutes or until they are deliciously golden brown.
4 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
1 tablespoon milk
500g sausage mince
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, coarsely grated
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
1 1/2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 180C/356F fan-forced.
- Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Thaw puff pastry.
- Mix sausage mince, diced onion, grated carrot, parsley and sauce in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay a sheet of pastry on a flat surface. Cut sheet in half horizontally.
- Spoon 1/8 of the mince mixture down along the long side of one pastry half, shaping mince into a long sausage shape. Brush opposite long edge with water.
- Roll up pastry to enclose filling, finishing seam side down.
- Brush top of log with water. Cut into 6 short pieces.
- Place pieces, seam side down on prepared tray, 2cm apart.
- Repeat with remaining mince mixture.
- Cook in oven for 10-15 minutes or until they turn golden brown.