- 1 container or drinking glass
- Pipe cleaner (at least 1)
- Magnet (about $4 from craft stores)
How cool is that?????
Basically it happens because magnets have an invisible force field that causes it to attract and stick to metals such as what is found inside these pipe cleaners. This force is strong enough to pass through some materials like the plastic of this container.
How about you get your children to test out and answer some of these questions –
- What happens if the pipe cleaners are cut longer/shorter?
- Would this experiment work if it was in a container of wood, glass, paper etc?
- How far away does the magnet need to be before it attracts the pipe cleaner pieces?
- Are some colours more attracted than others?
- What items around the house attract a magnet? What doesn’t?
- How thick does the material between the magnet and the pipe cleaners need to be before it stops them drawing together?