Edible Finger Paint

I love being creative and I especially love when I can get my little Possum creative too. This type of paint is wonderful because it’s non-toxic, unlike those that claim to be but still include weird numbers in the ingredients.

So let’s make our own EDIBLE FINGER PAINT!!!!!

____________________

Making your own finger paint can be a great activity to do with children.

The basics you will need are -

1/4 cup cornflour
4 tablespoons white sugar
food colouring
2 tbsp water (add more if required)

Method
In a pot mix together the sugar and the cornflour. Add a splash of water and mix over a medium heat. Depending on your mixture, add more water or cornflour until you have a smooth and rather stiff consistency.
I separated my mixture into small containers and added 4 drops of food colouring to each. I probably suggest not to add any more drops because it may start to stain fingers.

I added a few finger scoops of each onto a large page of paper. Possum was very interested to touch (and taste!) the finger paint. I modelled (or demonstrated) how the mixture could be spread across the page.

This is such a great sensory activity for babies

Possum loved opening and closing her hand and feeling the texture between her fingers. Gorgeous!
And here is Possum’s very first art piece!!!
I’m such a proud mummy.

N.B. This type of paint will not last forever as it is made from food items. It should last 5-10 days. I suggest if you wish to keep the artwork, take a photograph and have it blown up onto a canvas. How adorable!! :)

I hope you and your little one enjoy this activity.

Kate x

If you like this post then you’ll like some of these ideas too!
_________________________________

Please feel free to leave me a comment below.

Before you go, are you following Laughing Kids Learn other ways? Don’t miss out!!!!

Icon Icon Icon Icon Follow Me on Pinterest

Comments

1. says

Out of curiosity, will the resulting artwork mold at all over time? I’d like to share this with a friend of mine, but wanted to check that the artwork is something she could keep?

• says

Hi Alyria,

Unfortunately this will not act like store-bought paint and will go moldy over time. You can always do this activity, take a photograph and then have it blown up as a canvas. That’s what I did and I have a lasting memory of her first painting. Best wishes with it.

2. says

I have used applesauce adding a bit of food coloring and let my kids finger paint at their high chair. The idea here is the process not the product…giving kids hands-on opportunities to explore the world! So fun!

• says

Absolutely! There are so many great ways that you can make finger paint safe for children. I love the idea about the applesauce. Yes, I have posted about the process of making it. Thanks for your comment. :)

3. says

I make an assortment of edible finger paints even though my daughter doesn’t eat it. I just use what I have aroun the house at that time. With that said, what I’ve started doing is putting foil over the table and then just letting her have some sensory fun. That way she has a good time, the mess is easy to clean and I don’t worry about saving anything. I do like to save her paintings too, but I just save that for paint that will keep. I always love seeing others projects and ideas though so thanks for sharing! ;) – via Pinterest

4. says

Hi,
    I am from india. i love ur ideas and experiments. and for the first time i had time to experiment one of urs. iam buy with my 1 yr old. i made the colours at home but instead of using food colours i used natural colours like beetroot juice, tamarind powder.

Thank u and all the best.

5. says

Hey thedre I am so gratreful I found your blog, I really found you by accident,while I was searching on Askjeeve for something else, Regardless I aam here now and would just like to
    saay thanks a lot for a fantastic post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse
    iit all at the minute but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please
    do keep up the great work.

6. Margaret says

Loved this idea. My granddaughter is blind and loves to smell and taste what she is doing, so come Easter time I will have my grand children out in the garden finger painting.

7. Jessica says

I love this idea! I just made this but instead of water I used Motts Applejuice to add flavor ;) then I divided it up and added the color like you said. I had extra so I froze some in an ice cub tray. I’m hoping that I can de-thaw and use for future use.

Trackbacks